Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed family member or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your used hearing aids instead of getting rid of.
There are plenty of people suffering from loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and several institutions out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the overall populace, around 14% have some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some form of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever had them
This is really worrisome. Because neglected hearing loss has been linked to multiple health issues from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. The relevance of your hearing to your overall health is backed up by new studies coming out all of the time. These health issues can be avoided and in some cases reversed by hearing aids.
And the last compelling point is that loss of hearing can cost the average family $12,000 in earnings each year. But that expense can actually be lessened by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have a big impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It could also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into college and make a decent living when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.